Chasing a sub 24hr WHW Race

The Prep! 
My first WHW race was in 2019 and completed in 26hr 36mins and 27sec and lets just say it was not a text book race
Through 2020 and 2021 I had keep myself busy with some long runs, so I was going into 2022 race with much more awareness off what to expect to run 95miles. All was pretty much going to plan until end Feb when I got covid. Although it was relatively mild, since then I had really been lacking any energy and training was feeling like a chore and really hard work. A couple of times I backed right off to see if that would help so the preparation had not been ideal. I was a few minutes quicker for the fling than previous year, but I was pretty broken by Balmaha and was not moving well after that so this did nothing to build the confidence for the WHW race. 

On reflection I had forgotten my chest heart rate monitor and think I had maybe just gone off a bit too hard – one day we will learn! I was lucky enough to get away to Crete 2 weeks before the WHW which for tapering I think worked really well. I did a couple of hard sessions (which were hard in the heat) but otherwise did easy runs, some walks and a fair bit of swimming. The free raki with every meal was maybe not quite so ideal!! 

So with what I thought was a less than ideal preparation for the race I was confident I would complete the race but much less confident I could get a sub 24hr race. A couple of weeks prior to the race I had a 20mile run on trails followed by 22miles in the hills the next day. Since everything was still hard work, for the 20 miler I decided to run with a low heart rate (130). The 20miles felt relatively easy, the pace was reasonable 8.5/9min mile on trails and the seed was sown to use this heart rate for WHW race. The week prior to race was less than ideal, return from holiday Monday, work in Aberdeen Tue / Wed, work Thu and then frantically try and buy food etc Friday morning. After my previous race where lack of sleep was a big issue for me, I was determined to get some sleep on Friday – easier said than done!! I lay down for about three hours in the afternoon and also lay down at start for a few hours – I think if I was lucky I got a total of about 15min sleep! 

Race Day 
I had promised I would stay lying down in Marks van for as long as possible before the start, but usual pre-race excitement and getting to meet old pals took over. Ayr Seaforth had a great turnout this year of 6 athletes which had caused a little bit of complication with us all getting crew. I had Mark Canning, who had done vehicle support for me a couple of times before, doing vehicle all the way to Fort William and my brother Alex and his son Angus doing running support. Both had never supported before and had not really been on the route, but I was confident enough between us it would all work out. 
LtoR Davie Jones, Mark Caldwell, me, Karen Adams and Susie Hubbard

We managed to get a quick team photo with 5 out 6 athletes at the start – sorry Tim Downie, and then it was just an impatient wait for the start. I was determined I was going to run my own race and also I was going to stick to my 130 heart rate plan, so I tucked myself into the start line away from the others! 
The hooters goes, through the tunnel, up the steps to all the cheers along the high street, you then drop down onto the route and it sinks in that this is going to be a long day! I was a bit fascinated by all the strange coloured jackets ahead of me , but eventually (it did take me a while) I realised I had my head torch set on the red light!! 
Leaving Milngavie

The run to Drymen was pretty uneventful – on the hills I would let HR creep up to 140, and when walking, if it dropped below 120, I would start running again. I met Mark to grab a bottle and a cereal bar and then head torch was put away just after Drymen. I continued to follow the same HR on the approach to Balmaha and took it steady on the descent of Conic Hill - I find some of it quite awkward, especially the steps! 
Mark met me with some oats, milk and banana which I managed to devour on the move, fresh bottle and a cereal bar and I was off again. Using same approach I made steady progress to Rowardennan. They say never do something new on a race, but I managed to break this rule not once but twice. I had decided to wear a waist bag for first section – and because I know it can bounce a bit there was a risk of chafing. So to counter that I had put k tape along my back. This was great and it worked, but what I had not taken into account is your back and hips move quite a bit when running and eventually over the day, I ended up with two lines / scars along my back as the day progressed. Removing the k tape probably would have sorted it but I did not want to make it worse. So next time if I decide to use a waist bag, a bit of lubricant and if I need to switch bag earlier so be it – lesson learnt! I enjoy the freedom of not having a vest bag on, and I am cooler and as long as you do not need too much mandatory kit it works well! 
The other new thing for me was Mark had made egg noodles for me – fortunately this worked and they went down a treat. Only problem was I had randomly bought them from Lidl, I have no idea what flavour they were so will need to do some taste testing before the next event! 
Arriving Rowardennan

I left Rowardennan in pretty good spirits, I was feeling way better than at the fling and I usually quite enjoy the technical part of the loch side – last time I had been on low road was the race in 2019 so it felt quite new and fresh. I grabbed my drop bag (jam sandwiches, squeezy protein yogurt and a cereal bar) at Inversnaid and headed on for Beinglas. No real dramas along this section and again I felt I was making steady progress – I was looking forward to a coffee at Beinglas. Quick coffee and grabbed my drop back (soreen loaf, squeezy protein yogurt and a cereal bar). On the hill I ate some of the soreen loaf but then packed the rest away – for some mad reason I ended up carrying it all the way to Fort William. 
I passed the bridge where every time I do the Fling or WHW race, I cannot get over the bridge without a severe bout of cramp – so far so good and the dreaded cramps were staying away. I got caught in a pretty big shower just at start of roller coaster and for first time the jacket came out – only to be taken off again as soon as the sun came out! 
I was still trying to stick to my 130 heart rate which was working quite well and again made reasonable progress generally running the downs and the flats and walking the hills. On the last hill down to the road crossing the dreaded cramps (inside top of legs) got me on the downhill – just after I had passed someone as I was moving better going down the hills than they were. Apologies to anyone I did meet on race day as I never really felt I met or engaged with anyone all day – not sure why but I was actually just enjoying running myself! The same runner passed me while I was trying to sort the cramp out. My new solution (which I discovered by chance at the Ben Nevis Ultra) is to actually chew a Si caps salt tablet. Once you finally break through the capsule (not sure what they are made from, but they are pretty tough) the contents taste pretty foul!! There is a theory that the taste switches off the nerves which are causing the cramps. I try and hold the contents in my mouth for as long as possible for maximum effect, eventually giving up and washing it down with some water! It worked and I eventually caught up with the same runner – I did explain what I had been doing but I am not sure he liked my theory!! 
I had been enjoying my own company and was almost disappointed that I could have a support runner, but my brother Alex had run out to meet me, and we had agreed he was running from Auchtertyre. We were told we would need waterproof trousers from Bridge of Orchy, so I decided just to carry them from here – the first inkling that the weather was going to get worse. Quick stop – more noddles and we were off again – up till now my time through check points had been quick and it was noticeable I was getting in and out before some of the other runners. 

Heading into Auchtertyre Farm

Proof that I do occasionally eat during Ultra's

I had a requested an ice cream at Tyndrum and Mark was standing dutifully with three ice creams – so we took all three! It was only when I was half way up the hill that we realised he had bought one for himself!! Fortunately Mark used his initiative and went back to the shop. The lemonade ice lolly was rotten so after one bite I passed it to Alex (one of the benefits of have family crewing for you!), the magnum went down well followed by the calippo! 
In 2019 this section was a death march so I was reasonably happy to still be running the downs and the flats, and we were soon at Bridge of Orchy. Mark was parked up at the railway and we had quick stop – can’t actually remember what I ate (or did not eat!). I’ve always struggled with eating on these long races and often I get to a stage where I can run downhills but really struggle to run flats or even the slightest hill. In the past I have put this down to not eating well so I have been trying out the Supersapien Glucose monitoring system Once you get set up you get a glucose reading from your sensor, onto your phone and then onto your watch – as long as all three are quite close together you can track your blood glucose level in real time. I had been using this all day and it shows whether you are maintaining or declining and it has probably encouraged my to eat before I would normally eat. Their pricing is a bit complicated but if interested, sign up so you get a couple of months worth (each sensor lasts 14 days) – 4/5 sensors gives you enough sensors to play around with during training etc till you get used to it. 
Anyway after a quick stop, down across the road and checked in – asked whether we had waterproof trousers again before we were let on our way. I jokingly said “no need the weather is lovely!” – famous last words. So last time I had got into Bridge of Orchy, a broken man, unable to go on and was only saved by about a 45min sleep. This time I was still feeling good, jelly baby hill was not quite as easy as it is on fresh legs but we made good progress. One crew was having a bit of a moment with their runner, not sure what had happened but I think they had missed him coming through, which kept us slightly entertained!! I took my jelly baby at 100k, embarrassed to say I have no clue what colour it was!! 
Heading up to Jelly Baby Hill

Heading down from Jelly Baby Hill

We ran / walked the road – probably walked a bit more than I should have and I decided I was having a wee lie down at the gate lodge. I could not quite get down on my back without getting cramp so ended up being on my front for a few minutes. Eventually a few runners came by and spurred me to get back on my feet. 
Just resting!!

Rannoch Moor was probably my lowest section, I was feeling we were walking too much and not really running and a few other runners got by and gradually drifting into the distance. The weather was getting gradually worse with the wind increasing, the frequency of showers getting more prolonged and it was clear it was only going to get worse. Eventually the climbing was over and I had a good run into Glencoe. 


Rannoch Moor with the weather closing in!

I had decided I was going to try and have a quick lie down in Marks van, get some food in and move on. As soon as I lay down I realised I was getting cold so a quick change, new t shirt, long sleeved top, waterproof top and hat were donned – I’ve run in the hills in the middle of winter with less clothes!! In my random Lidl purchasing I had only bought two egg noodles, which had already been eaten, so I was down to pot noodle which never went down well at all. I grabbed an iced apple turnover and headed down the road – I think in total we had about 15mins rest! 




Glencoe to bottom of Devil with Alex

 I had let myself get far too cold and had the uncontrolled shivers as I left the van and on the road down my right achilles was really sore, but fortunately eased off – I think it had just been the cold! I managed to force down the apple turnover before a quick toilet stop at the Kings House – way better than my 2019 performance! 
Heading to the Devil

The jacket over the running vest is always such a good look!!

The section to the bottom of the devil was a bit of a slog, I started getting hiccups which was not comfortable, but eventually we got there! Intention had been that Angus would run from Glencoe but he was running late getting up the road, so Alex continued on. Alex and I don’t see each other very often and we had probably spent more time together than we had for years – but we had got into a pretty easy, relaxed rhythm which certainly worked for me (he may tell you different!). I’ve been up and down the Devil quite a few times recently, so I was onto familiar territory, but I think this must be my record slowest ascent of the devil ever! 
Bottom of Devil - photo Mark Canning

Every so often I felt the strongest urge just to stop moving (my legs were fine, HR down, breathing fine, blood glucose fine!) – I have no clue why and I wish I could work it out (Any ideas please let me know – someone has suggested adrenaline shortage??). Eventually it got so bad I stopped and sat down for a minute or so. I then spotted some runners catching up and decided it was time to get a move on again! After what seemed like an age I made it to the top. I was not convinced about the camper at the top of the Devil as by this time the wind and rain had really piled in and it was far from pleasant at the top. I usually enjoy the section down into Kinlochleven and this was no exception. I was getting pain in top of left foot and stopped to check laces – which were too tight. I was pretty annoyed with myself because when I left Milngavie the tongue on left shoe was not sitting correctly, I did sort it roughly but for much of the route my left foot was not right and I should have paid more attention. I generally have a rule if something annoys me more than three times then stop and sort it properly – I had failed to do this! (Note to self - should know better!!) 
The long descent into Kinlochleven

The plus side was I was still moving reasonably well and we were still on track for 22/23hr finish so I was feeling pretty positive getting into Kinlochleven. Another toilet stop and then grab some food from the van – I think in reality I never really took anything! 
Head torches packed and I did grab a handful of grapes and another protein yogurt. As usual the slightly extended stop had resulted in me getting very cold again, so time to get moving. Young Angus had made it to Kinlochleven and Alex decided he had come this far, he was going to go all the way to Fort William. Angus and Mark had an interesting first introduction as I think Mark thought it was my other brother Angus, rather than Alex’s son he was meeting, so was not expecting to meet an 18year old!! 
No issues with head torches this year and we made our way up the climb. I was not quite as slow as I was on the devil but not much better. The dynamic of the group had changed with Angus joining us, but I plodded on up the hill while the two of them tagged behind – Angus had been doing a badminton coaching course during the day! I was trying to eat the grapes, but the hiccups were back, so decided the grapes were the cause – no idea if they were but they got the blame! I then had some of the yogurt and kept plodding on, while being aware the weather was getting steadily worse – we were certainly going to get the brunt of it going across Lairig Mor. 
Heading out of KL with Angus behind

The path which was more like a river!


As we approached the high point I decided to announce I was going to be sick – after a few moments hesitation I was!! Bizarrely nothing came up apart from a mouthful of bile! Nothing was really said, but you could sense the concern in the air – top of a mountain, freezing cold, driving rain and wind and your runner who has done 80 odd miles is being sick! Fortunately this has happened to me before and after being sick I felt great! So once I got myself sorted, I looked up and said “right come on lets get this finished!” and trotted off up the hill! Why I feel better I have no clue, I was now easily running the downhills and the flats and even occasionally running the hills! 
The weather at this stage was particularly foul but I was again moving well and I was feeling a lot of sympathy for the slower runners who would be coming up through here in the dark. Young Angus was keeping me slightly amused by trying to keep his feet dry on the path which was pretty much a river. I think he made it to about half way, before giving up which for the conditions was no mean feat!! After being sick my dilemma was whether I should try to eat or not eat again. I knew my stomach was empty, but my blood glucose was still showing ok. 
Since Bridge of Orchy I had been using one bottle of coke and one with diluting orange hydration tablet in it – so I decided to start supping the coke again! We crossed Lairig Mor relatively painlessly and caught a few runners which is always a boost! Certainly crossing in daylight is so much easier – so big kudos to later runners who cross during the night, especially with the weather!! The team at Lundavra offered coke and tablet but I was comfortable I was still moving well so passed through without really stopping (I think Angus acquired some fuel for future puddle jumping!) – again it was great to get through in daylight. I had hoped to get to fire road before the torches came on, but because of the poor weather we put them on at the last big downhill. I had decided I better eat something, before the last push to Fort William, so had a couple of squares of Kendal mint cake.
Last climb before the fire road

 The last climb was tough and I tried to get myself ready for hopefully the long run (and not walk) into Fort William!! I started getting a bit antsy at the top of the fire road – my watch was showing 94.5miles done, the race is 95miles, but I knew with change of finish location it was nearer 96miles, but even then I knew from top of fire road to Fort William is more than 1.5miles. I knew by this time sub 22hrs had gone I had been hoping for sub 23hrs (although sub 24hrs was the initial target), I just felt the sub 23hrs was slipping away – when a good pace is 12min / mile, another 3miles adds almost half an hour to the time. 
The more I run and get tired the more hopeless I get at mental arithmetic. Fortunately Alex and Angus are both pretty bright and were able to do the sums to reassure me sub 23hrs was still in sight! It was slightly less convenient they both worked kilometres which complicated the sums somewhat!! I was pretty pleased with my mile 95 at a blistering 9.15min/ mile pace and I even managed to run most of the flat sections. Once I got on the pavement I again started stressing about how far it was still to go as by this time I was showing 96miles. The good part to this was it kept me moving and we ran (more than I walked) to the finish! Across the carpark and into the hall for the finish. 
There was no huge emotion, this year I always knew I was going to finish, just relief I could stop moving once and for all! Quick photo with the crew – Mark had been outstanding doing vehicle all the way, Alex had put in a big shift all the way from Auchtertyre – the furthest he had ever done and Angus added a youthful spirit to the last stage! For a new crew – they cracked it! 
Apologies to the volunteer who was keen to look after me – I was equally keen to get off to my bed!!
Getting warm again!!

Top crew (LtoR) Mark Canning, Alex Meldrum, me and Angus Meldrum



 The Aftermath! 
After long races I often get sore hips – this time they were particularly bad – even with pain killers it took a few hours before I could get settled enough to sleep. Very slowly I was trying all sorts of yoga moves to ease the pain with nothing really working. Prize giving was great as always and it was great to see another five fellow Seaforth runners collect their goblets – Tim Downie and Mark Caldwell are old hands, but Davie Jones, Susie Hubbard and Karen Adams all picked up their first goblets – big respect as they all went through some tough times particularly with the weather! 
Two weeks later my tight laces problem was something slightly more complicated and I am still trying to get it settled down. I’m still annoyed with myself that I never tried to address it sooner though! 
So what worked well – 
- 130 heart rate worked great – I just need to be able to run faster at that rate!
- I think I was eating pretty well for me! 
- First time crew worked great 
- Noodles were great – just need to work out which ones I ate! 
What never worked 
 - Waist bag was great but k tap round waist was a bad idea! In future I will wear waist bag until it starts bothering me and then swap bags! 
Proud of my 2nd goblet!


What Now! 
 During the run up I was a bit fed up with races on WHW and I had decided that I would try other races next year – BUT – I think I could do it faster?? We shall see! 
Next up is the Devil as a training run for Dragons Back – hopefully I can get the foot sorted to get some training in!! As always huge thanks to the volunteers and organisers – the weather was bad enough to run through but I am sure 10 times worse hanging about waiting for runners – so huge well done!!

And finally happy to chat with anyone thinking about doing WHW race - contact / follow @ameldrum7
Postscript added 28/11/22 Prior to completing Dragons Back race in September this year I discovered I had Lymes, so it is likely I had Lymes from beginning of May (when I got a few ticks on Skye) through till August when I finally got diagnosed. Moral of the story is - - check for ticks - if you do get bites, keep an eye on them. I never but I think it is only about 30% of people get the tell tale red circle with Lymes - if you are not feeling 100% get checked out. For some reason I never associated my training not going well with possibility of Lymes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cape Wrath Ultra from Fort William to Cape Wrath - an 8 day adventure!!

Top 10 Runs (Trips) of 2023

Chasing a Dragon!!