A Covid year of Running - My best year ever!?

With a bit of time between Christmas and New Year I decided to try and order my top 11 "events" this year (I did try and restrict to 10 but thought they were all worthy of a place)!! There were no massive PB’s, in fact for most of these events I have no clue where I finished, they were all done to try and keep a bit of focus on a very strange year!! 

No 1 - 29th Aug Galloway Ring of Fire 48miles, 30 summits 
No 2 - Oct 30th / 31st – Ayrshire Coastal path 100 and something miles FKT 
No 3 - Oct 8th / 9th – Southern Upland Way – St John Town of Dalry to Beattock 54.5miles support runner for Jack Scott FKT run 
No 4 - Sat 12th June 2020 Virtual West Highland Way Race – team of 10 
No 5 – 15th Feb Carnethy Five 
No 6 - Midnight Thursday 11th June –12:00 Noon Sunday 21stJune 2020 Virtual West Highland Way Race 
No 7 - 8th Aug WHW Devil – Fort William to Tyndrum – 43miles 
No 8 - 2nd Feb. 2020 - Falkirk Calendar Park 8hr ultra race 
No 9 - 12th Sep River Ayr Way Ultra 40miles 
No 10 - Sunday 5th July 2020 – 1am to Sat. 11th July 2020 – 11pm Virtual Great Glen Ultra – 3 legs 20miles, 20miles and 33miles. 
No 11 - Virtual Bog and Burn series 



To find out the reasons for these rankings, read on – apologies it is a long one, but I did try and add in some nice photos!! It has been an interesting year for running as the usual road races, cross countries and ultras were quickly curtailed by covid restrictions, but even then I still managed to get some pretty memorable “races” completed in 2020. For simplicity I have listed them below in date order!

2nd Feb. 2020 - Falkirk Calendar Park 8hr ultra race
I had a pretty big year in 2019 having completed the Triple Crown (WHW Fling, WHW Race and WHW Devil) plus another couple of smaller ultra’s through the year, but looking back I had been nursing a sore shin on left leg and a sore right foot for much of the year. On a long run just before New Year I finally decided I should not be running with as much pain and decided that I was not running for the whole of Jan 2020! Decision made, I hit the gym for all of Jan – plenty of strength work, cross training and my least favourite, but for me essential body balance classes (mix of yoga, pilates etc). The gap in my plan was that I had entered the 8hr ultra and had not realised it was so early in Feb. Initial thought was to withdraw, but then realised I could just turn up and do a few laps then withdraw if necessary!! 
This was my second year of doing this event after enjoying it in 2019. Very heavy rain had resulted in a last minute course change, but most of course was the same. The weather was equally foul, with the course quickly turning into a mud fest. Runner spirits were high and the banter was good as usual. As it is a lapped event and a relay there is plenty of movement in the field with people to pass or vice versa. The ones I felt most sorry for were the relay runners having to complete a 3.5mile lap, wait for three team mates to do the same and then go back out again – how they stayed warm between laps I will never know! For the last hour you move onto a shorter loop, or risk going for the big loop again, but you must finish it before the 8hrs is up. As per last year I was a bit tight for another lap and moved onto the shorter loop – in hindsight I could have made it, but had to suffer the joy of the short loop, steep up hill, short flat section, downhill, short flat section and then repeat – it is quite cruel after 7hrs running!!
Official result was 46.52miles (although my watch gave me 47.5) – happy with that as it was either 1.62 or 2.5miles further than I had managed in 2019. With poor underfoot conditions, no pain when running I was delighted with my first run of 2020!! 
Lapped events are great – if you are tempted with an ultra, seriously consider a timed, lapped event! It is great to know all your stuff is not far away and I find it a totally different mindset to the usual point to point or loop ultra events. With timed events you know when the suffering is going to end and if you can start another lap you will finish it! 
Ranking No. 8 
Reason – after a month off running it was great to be back out and enjoy a great team spirit with club mates and other runners! 


15th Feb Carnethy Five 
An intrepid band of Ayr Seaforth runners (Simon Glen, Gregg Bowie and Iain Pettigrew) had managed to secure an entry for the legendary Carnethy 5 hill race.
This was due to be their 50th anniversary race, however Storm Dennis was trying its best to disrupt proceedings. Driving across from Ayr to the Pentlands we had discussed options for going for a group run if the organisers decided to cancel the event – which when you consider the risk of sending 500 plus runners up onto the Pentlands with 65mph winds forecast, they had every right to do so. 
Arrived for registration and there was no sign of backing down – the event was going ahead!! Big respect to the organisers who bravely went ahead. After a bit of encouragement to leave the warm hall to get on the bus to the start we tried our best to do a warm up and then shelter the best we could – the weather at the start was bad, but not horrendous!!

My plan had been to start with my waterproof jacket on and then take it off at the first climb – I never did take it off! The minute we got up onto the ridge heading to Scald Law we got blasted by the wind!! It was an effort just making forward progress, trying to catch a breath out of the wind, a bit of respite going out to South Black Hill, and then back for a battering up East and West Kip. Just before the photo was taken a female athlete got lifted off her feet to be deposited at the other side of the ridge – I was enjoying my extra weight advantage! 

It was a relief to turn at West Kip heading back for the final climb up Carnethy. The wind was that strong coming back off Carnethy that you had to run to make progress down the steep hillside. A quick dash across the flat ground and across to the finish, and a feeling of relief that you had survived!! I am sure the top athletes raced the event but for many of us it was just a matter of survival, trying to make sure we got back in one piece. Massive respect to the marshals who made the event possible – that must have been a tough shift! https://carnethy.com/2020/02/carnethy-5-race-directors-report/ 

Ranking No. 5 
Reason – Storm Dennis made it memorable – great, hard hill race but the weather really lifted it a notch or three! 

Midnight Thursday 11th June –12:00 Noon Sunday 21stJune 2020 Virtual West Highland Way Race 9.5 days to complete the 95mile route, it was split into three legs, leg 1 - 36miles, leg 2 - 27miles, and leg 3 - 32 miles. 
For some reason, maybe weariness from lock down, but I had decided I was doing leg one starting at midnight Thu 11th June. I parked up at Dam Park athletics track just down the road and met a few other runners starting at 12pm. An initial 10miles loop round Ayr with Davie Jones and Mark Caldwell set me up well. They sensibly left for their beds while I settled for another lap of Ayr. Back at the aid station, aka my car, and a quick pit stop and lacking much inspiration, I decided on a lap round Prestwick. It was just at end of 1st lock down and it was pretty surreal, deserted streets no cars etc made it a tough few hours in the dark. There was a police car patrolling around and I half expected them to stop me as I am sure I saw them more than once! The sun started to come up as I was going round Prestwick Airport. As anyone who has run through the night will know, the sun coming up certainly lifts the spirits! Heading back into Ayr with about 8miles still to do, I was desperately thinking of what loops I could do to add on the miles. Initially planned on two more laps of River Ayr but then had some inspiration of heading down to the end of Ayr pier, a quick photo stop for the sunrise and that left one more lap of the River Ayr to do. With the usual bad planning I had a meeting at 12pm at work, so back home quick sleep and then into the office! 
Leg 1 Fri 12th June – 36miles – 5hrs 31mins 52s 
Leg 2 Tue 16th June – 27miles 3hrs 57mins 33s 
Leg 3 Sat 20th June – 32miles 4hrs 38mins and 32s
Ranking No. 6 
Reason – Doing something totally pointless, like starting at 12pm, working through the self doubt, and running by the warm bed which was in my house, numerous times!! 

Sat 12th June 2020 Virtual West Highland Way Race – team of 10 
One of the ultra group chats Seaforth had set up for races was still active and there had been a fair bit of banter and nonsense during lock down. One of the suggestions had been to do a relay between each others houses – as usual the talk had never moved to action until the Virtual WHW race was announced. I promptly suggested that we all run 9.5miles over the course of a day to complete as a team. The great thing about lock down was no one had any plans – so it was quickly agreed and entry submitted. 

So with a 4.30am start, each runner had to do 9.5miles to the next house, exchange the watch (after the covid clean). So the order was – 
Stuart McColm 
Bobby Miller 
Greg Bowie 
Lorna Fraser 
Ian Morrison 
Susie Hubbard 
Karen Adams 
Morven Hubbard 
Alasdair Meldrum 
Ian Young 
The group chat was alive all day, trying to work out who was where and when we would need to run (a tracker would have been good!). As the old adage goes – how do you get a runner to run fast – put a baton in their hand! Everyone was taking it seriously and the legendary Bobby Miller was even spotted, by Stuart, out doing his warm up at 5am! Young Morven Hubbard managed to get her distances a bit mixed up and ended up doing a few extra miles. As I was the next runner it took me a while to work it out, but I ended up only doing a 8.31mile leg. This suited me just fine after my 36mile leg on Fri morning!! 
The watch finally made it to the finish at 6.26pm, with 3% battery left, in 13hrs, 56mins and 38s – 1hr up on the planned schedule, a massive effort by all the runners! It was just at the end of 1st lock down, and although meetings in gardens were allowed, no one was keen, so we finished at the local Belisle park. A few beers with fellow runners on a sunny evening has, at it has turned out, been the only social event of the year. The highlight of the evening was being stopped not once, but twice by the police – who knew it was not legal to drink in public places – it has been a while since I was caught drinking on a park bench!! Good natured chats ensued once we explained what we had done, and a couple of the officers had kids at Ayr Seaforth!
Ranking No. 4 
Reason – In normal years it would never have happened but due to Covid it did!! The group chat was alive all day with encouragement and banter, and the after party was great!! 

Sunday 5th July 2020 – 1am to Sat. 11th July 2020 – 11pm Virtual Great Glen Ultra – 3 legs 20miles, 20miles and 33miles. 
Buoyed by the success of the WHW Virtual event I had decided to take plunge again. I had become expert at working out where local water supplies were, randomly trying to work out loops in my head which would add on 5/4/3/2/1 miles to make sure I could finish the distance at the house (an essential skill for 2020!!). Lock down had eased a bit and I was fortunate enough to have to travel a bit for some essential work so I managed the following legs – 
Leg 1 July 5th – 20miles out and back on River Ayr 2hrs 56mins and 8s 
Leg 2 July 8th - 20miles out and back on WHW from Beinglas south – probably not the fastest section I could have picked but really enjoyed getting out someplace different! Due to lock down the WHW was a touch overgrown with nature (bracken) trying to take over the path again! 4hrs 7mins and 33secs
Leg 3 July 11th – 33miles and even longer out and back on the River Ayr 5hrs 6mins 1s
Ranking No. 10 
Reason – enjoying getting the long self supported runs in – I am sure running shorter every day was the faster option but I was enjoying the challenge of doing the full leg each time!! 

8th Aug WHW Devil – Fort William to Tyndrum – 43miles 
Like many I was entered for the WHW Devil and had some accommodation booked! The plan was to get first bus to Fort William and run back. As I was waiting for the bus, along came Clark Findlay with exactly the same plan! We had never met before, but we soon agreed we would set off together and if either wanted to crack on then that was fine. The 1st bus only arrived just before 10am so it was a late start and looked like it was going to be just as hot as Devil 2019, but starting 4hrs later. The miles and chat flowed easily, on what was a stunning day. A quick drink stop at Glencoe and then across Rannoch moor. Due to the heat we got into routine of stopping at every main river, drinking our fill and topping up our bottles before moving on. Another quick pit stop for some juice at Inveroran Hotel and then over the hill to Bridge of Orchy. Although I thought I had been drinking plenty, on hindsight I think due to the heat of the day, I was pretty dehydrated. My left shin, which had not bothered me all year was back in full force and my muscle cramps (which used to plague my running) were also back. Clark was also struggling a bit, so it was a long slow haul into Tyndrum. A quick stop in the garage for some fuel – a couple of soleras and then we parted company! 
Definitely my sorest run of 2020 for both the shin and the cramps. In hindsight I think I was dehydrated, as we had run in the heat of the day, and maybe the WHW is just a bit harder underfoot than the Galloway hills and the River Ayr that had made up the bulk of my 2020 training! 
43miles - 8hrs 50mins 56s way slower than 2019 but enjoyable none the less!!
Ranking No. 7 
Reason – meeting someone new and the sheer joy of a point to point run in some of the most beautiful countryside in Scotland 

29th Aug Galloway Ring of Fire 48miles, 30 summits My big plan for 2020 was to attempt the Cape Wrath Ultra, an epic 250 miles, 8 day staged race from Fort William to Cape Wrath. The route goes across some pretty harsh terrain, so my plan at the start of the year had been to try and train as much as possible in the Galloway hills. The 1st lock down curtailed that slightly but I still managed down to train on the Galloway hills and get some long days on the feet. During my research for routes I happened across reports that Jonny Muir had set a new fastest known time (FKT) for the round of the Ring of Fire in Galloway on July 14th 2018. Setting out from Bruce’s Stone at 5am and moving anti-clockwise, he finished 14 hours and six minutes later, surpassing the previous record set by Glyn Jones in 1996 by 38 minutes. https://heightsofmadness.com/2018/07/23/a-question-of-how-running-the-ring-of-fire/ 
The Ring of Fire (48 miles, 30 summits, 13,000ft) visits three ranges – the Minnigaff Hills, the Rhinns of Kells and the Range of the Awful Hand, climbing as high as 843 metres at Merrick. While the main ridges are runnable, the approaches, particularly on the Rhinns of Kells, are extremely rough and pathless. My plan was similar with a 5am start and a faint hope of finishing before last light!! 

Something about starting in the dark, the challenge which lay ahead, the unknown terrain made for a very nervy start. Once up on the 3rd peak of the day Lamachan, the sun had started to come up and I settled in to enjoy the day. 
I never did make it off the hill in daylight, light was fading as I descended of the 30th summit Bennan, back down to Loch Trool. I never trusted my legs enough to descend via the hill race route but instead returned to the tourist path. Head torch came out for the trees and all the way back down to Bruce’s Stone. No finish ceremony, just a weary walk back to the car, a quick change and some food for a slow, tired drive back to Ayr! 
50.33miles (I went round the trees to get to Sheil hill, which added on more than I thought it would!), 15,600ft, 30 summits, 16hrs, 16mins and 32s. 
I could not have been luckier with the weather – it was a stunning day.
Main lesson learned was to take a bit more grub – who knew that a couple of jam sandwiches and some muesli bars would not really cut it for a 16hr day in the hills!! I did pass the last few hours of the run trying to decide when an emergency bar should or should not be eaten!! I did refrain, but mainly because they were tucked deep in my bag!!
Ranking No. 1 
Reason – this was way out of my comfort zone, some seriously hard terrain, lots of navigation and all unsupported!! I have done 30miles runs in the Galloways since and still wonder how I managed to do 50miles – the terrain is seriously tough! 

12th Sep River Ayr Way Ultra 40miles 
RAW has a special place with me, as well as being our local ultra it was also my first, back in 2017. On that 1st one I got to about 30miles and thought I would never make the finish and hated every minute – but for some reason came back for some more. Barry Duddy very kindly dropped myself and Bobby Miller (the 1st event winner) and Peter Laing off at Glenbuck for the 40 mile trail back to Ayr. Although it starts at the source of the River Ayr, the route does manage 2,306ft elevation and with muddy, boggy ground it is by no means an easy 40miles! An easy first 10miles with Bobby and Peter, I picked up the pace and left them to meet Barry again at Catrine where he joined for the 20mile run into Ayr. Barry’s planning was impressive, and as well as doing all the driving he had stashed food and water on route. As we neared Ayr a couple of Seaforth athletes, and the current course record holder Toni McIntosh, came out to support which is always appreciated!! 
40miles in 6hrs 58mins 12secs
Ranking No. 9 
Reason – just great to do the complete route again in the company of some fellow runners! 

Virtual Bog and Burn series 
18th Sep 2020 – Cort ma Law 
1st Oct 2020 – Cairn Table hill race 
6th Oct Whanggie Whizz hill race 
17th Oct – Kaim Hill race 
The great team at Scottish Hill Runners https://www.scottishhillrunners.uk/Home.aspx very kindly arranged a virtual Bog and Burn series. If you have not done the Bog and Burn series events, they are a great way to spend a Wednesday evening in the summer. The format is usually the same - turn up and pay your fiver, show you have the correct kit, run up to the top of a hill and back down, share some chat and a few biscuits and then head home!! 
I had done Cort ma Law and Kaim hill race before but the other two were new to me. It was a great excuse to get out and run in some different locations. None of my times were that great compared to previous years but I think it is hard to push up a hill without a race environment, no kind officials to hold the gates open and I know I am more cautious on the way down without the security of a race environment. I was also slightly distracted about the Southern Upland way reccies (see next item!) and the long runs involved. 
Ranking No. 11 
Reason – it was just great to get out and do some simple short routes in the hills! Roll on the Bog and Burns series 2021 (I never did quite got the value out of my 1st year membership of the Scottish Hill Runners but happy to continue to support them!!) 

Oct 8th / 9th – Southern Upland Way – St John Town of Dalry to Beattock 54.5miles support runner for Jack Scott FKT run 
In early Sept Mark Caldwell got a request for support runners for Jack Scott's planned FKT attempt on the Southern Upland Way (SUW). I had offered to do a section and then other runners pulled out so then offered to do a couple of sections. Once I realised the logistics, probably running through the night over unfamiliar terrain I started to wonder if I had offered to do too much (I probably had!)! 

There was nothing else for it, but a few reccies to at least get familiar with the route - 
Reccie 1 – Sanquhar to Beattock 28miles 26th Sep (with Mark Caldwell)
Reccie 2 – out and back from Sanquhar 29miles 29th Sep 
Reccie 3 – out and back St Johns Town of Dalry 26miles, Oct 3rd 



So a nervous day of dot watching as Jack completed the initial stretch of the SUW. The usual panic about making sure we were there on time, resulted in us being at St John's town far too early!
Finally at 6.55pm we set off with a quick introduction to Jack Scott and Norman Neilson (Norman had completed two previous SUW’s races) and we were off. We quickly settled into an easy pace which made me a bit more confident I would make the distance and not let Jack down!! Very early on I stopped for a pee only to turn round and in the darkness not see any sign of the other two. We quickly learned, if Jack stopped for a pee, we all stopped – it was easier!! The miles passed quite easily, Jack was still in good spirits, and the shared navigation was relatively easy and we made good progress to Sanquhar. 
About 20mins before meeting support crew the heavens decided to open and gave us a good soaking. By this time it was about 1am and Jack decided he was having a quick sleep so we tried our best to stay warm and get a bit of food in. 

Next stage was up to Wanlockhead, Jack was still setting the pace and we followed on. Norman started struggling with his head torch and I eventually gave him my spare. A mile or so later my head torch started failing. Fortunately the ground was not too rough and I was able to tag along behind Jack and use his light. Finally into Wanlockhead for another pit stop. Norman decided he had better not go on without a decent head torch, which was a shame as his navigation and memory from previous events had made the night time navigation slightly easier! 
By this stage I was about 30miles in, but Jack was about 90miles in – how he was still moving I am not sure!! 3am and a steep climb up Stack hill (544m), aka the golf ball, in some pretty cold and wild weather, made us keen to keep pressing on and return to lower ground. 

We had our one and only slight navigational issue – there is a section where the path (sheep trod) drops down a valley to the left and then climbs back up to the right. Jack had been excellent at picking up the route, but on this occasion he had picked up a sheep trod which was running parallel with where we should have been. Eventually we took a hard right to get up on top of the ridge to get back on the route. It was no major issue and had not added any significant distance, but I think it caused a bit of concern with the support dot watchers!! As we dropped off the high ground, daylight started to appear, which as always lifts the spirits. Another quick stop at Daer Reservoir (after which Jack was sick and throw up everything he had just eaten) and then on up Beld Know (506m). 
By this stage Jack had been on his feet for over 24hrs, and was over 100miles in, and had not really eaten since Wanlockhead. The climb took, what felt like ages and Jack was sensing he was dropping off his schedule. As we dropped of the hill I am sure he was falling asleep on his feet, I was trying to talk to him as best I could to keep him awake!

Eventually we got to the runnable downhill section and it felt like we started making some progress again. I was tired, but more from the mental challenge of the navigation through the night, and I had been struggling with the pace – I was finding I was too slow walking but too fast running to match Jack's pace. We soon got onto the road with the last big downhill into Beattock – Jack was struggling with some shin pain but we eventually got to support crew 30mins behind schedule. I don’t particularly think we dropped off the pace, I just think this was a tough section especially through the night! 

At the support, I passed back over to James (who I had taken over from at St John's) who was doing another stint – I passed over all Jack's supplies (including his bottle of water which I had carried for 54miles, unused!!) and made sure he knew Jack had not eaten since Wanlockhead! 

Mark Canning who was giving me a lift back had made some bacon rolls which did the trick for Jack and me!! I quick good bye to Jack and I was able to slump in the chair. – job done!! 
54.5miles, 10,408ft, 14hrs 4mins and 8secs 
Sun morning – I woke up to news Jack was off the pace and going to miss the record. I was pretty devastated for him as I knew how hard he had worked through the Fri night and I am sure it was equally tough through the Sat night!! As the morning progressed I started getting news via the group chat that he was pulling it back and he was back on target. It was great to watch the live feed as he finished in record time – unbelievable performance!! https://www.fionaoutdoors.co.uk/2020/11/runner-jack-scott-sets-new-southern-upland-way-record.html
Ranking No. 3 
Reason – it was great to be involved in a record breaking run and to see what is involved, also met some strangers in some dark carparks, and it got me to get out and reccie a great section of the SUW. Who knows, maybe one day I will do the SUW Race!! 

Oct 30th / 31st – Ayrshire Coastal path 100 and something miles FKT 
During lock down I had regularly been doing 26mile plus runs ever Sat. and at some point a decision was made to try and complete the Ayrshire Coastal Path as a FKT. About 8years previously I had completed the 86mile version of the route over two 12hr days with a sleep in between so roughly 36hrs. The plan had been to go at end of Sep. but I then agreed to help Jack Scott, so we delayed to end of Oct. The planning in Sep. was minimal - an agreed a date with Mark Canning who had kindly offered to do the vehicle support for the full route, and a quiet word with a few support runners who would support me. The early part of the route is tidal so a quick check of the tide times to make sure that day was suitable. 
A few family issues a few weeks before, left me a bit unorganised. A rough schedule was put together, shared and a number of kind runners came forward to run the various sections. With limited time, I failed to check my schedule back against the tide times, which on the day, was made even worse by me being up on the schedule for the 1st half of the route. The end result was a longer route, over some pretty horrible sea weed covered rocks, a waist deep paddle in the sea, which could have been avoided by delaying the start by about 2hrs!! 
I had also decided that I would do the extended route which involved detours to Burns Cottage, out and backs to Dundonald Castle and Kilwinning Abbey and a finish over Knock Hill, which brought it up to just over a 100miles! I only found out on the Thu night about the detour to Kilwinning Abbey!

The target was to finish in less than 24hrs, which I was delighted to do!

Full story is on https://alasdair77.blogspot.com/2020/11/ayrshire-coastal-path-fastest-known.html 106.84miles, 23hrs 38mins and 40s, 5,912ft 






Ranking No. 2 
Reason – a few firsts for me – 1st time running 100miles, 1st time under 24hrs and 1st FKT (I know there are plenty faster than me, but at least I got in first!!) but the best bit was the support from Mark Canning and the support runners who gave up their time often in the middle of the night to join in the mad venture!! 

So was it my best year ever? For many reasons yes it was, I think the lack of races allowed me to look for other ideas. It also allowed a proper recovery after big miles, which I think is often missing when you are always focusing on the next event or race! The downside was missing all the crack with fellow runners prior to races!!

2020 Stas – according to Strava 
300 active days 49% in gym and 41% running 
2,106miles at an average of 10.59min/mile – a reflection of the longer runs and the hills 
Total elevation 227,000ft (7.8 Mount Everest's!) 
I firmly believe, and have done for the last couple of years, in the adage of train to run, don’t run to train, so pleased with the % of gym to running. 
Cross training and body balance are so important and help me recover for the next run! 
Slow running has also been a common theme as per the average min/mile, but I still make sure I do at least one speed session per week. The weekly Seaforth challenges which ranged from fastest mile, 2mile, 5k, 10k 10mile and whatever else was dreamt up helped keep a focus to the training. Big thanks to Kenny Neill for organising! 

Muscle Cramps 
Until this year I suffered very badly from painful and debilitating muscle cramps – they used to come on, at anything over 20miles and often made the last sections of marathons or ultras extremely painful. In all my running this year, with the exception of the Devil, I have had little or no cramp. So for all the athletes who suffer from cramp, what is my new found secret? 
Sadly the reality is I don’t really know – what I do know is I have changed the following – it could be one of them or it could be a combination of them all – 
• I now have a pinch of salt every morning with my soaked oats! 
• Strength training – get stronger and cramp will reduce 
• Hip flexibility – I am never going to be the most flexible person but regular body balance keeps some semblance of flexibility 
• Salt tablets – I am a heavy, salty sweater so on hot events, easiest way to replenish is taking salt tablets 
• If all else fails and I get cramp, my rescue cure is to let a hydration tablet dissolve in my mouth – the fizz “switches” off the cramp (there are athletes who swear by pickle juice, mustard etc, which is similar theory!) 
If you suffer from cramp, the above are well worth a try. The other excellent bit of advice (I find) is to not listen to any lucky athletes who have never experienced cramp in their lifetime!! 

2021 Plans 
Like many of you, my 2021 is made up of all the 2020 cancelled races. The big one for me this year is Cape Wrath in May. Fingers crossed it goes ahead but if it does not, I already have a plan B lined up. Once the events all re start the challenge will be saying no to some of them, so that other individual challenges can be fitted into the schedule! https://www.capewrathultra.com/ 

Feedback 
I have written this, really because, with Scotland being in another lockdown I have a bit more time over the holiday period! Hopefully it will inspire and encourage you to try new things or gain a bit of renewed focus again! Please feel free to comment and share what has inspired you this year! 

For those of you who had a terrible running 2020, I am sorry, but hopefully better times are round the corner! I own an environmental consulting business, Albion Environmental Ltd and running the business, employing staff etc has been particularly stressful and challenging this year – I just consider myself lucky I have running (and training) as my relief valve!! 

If you made it this far - thank you - wishing you all a great "running" 2021!!

Comments

  1. Under the circumstances not a bad year at all well done on the FKT, dont be surprised if someone chases it though. 😁👍👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will not be surprised at all and I hope they do. My hope is they either do it really well - ie totally out of reach or just a wee bit better and I can have another try!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cape Wrath Ultra from Fort William to Cape Wrath - an 8 day adventure!!

Top 10 Runs (Trips) of 2023

Chasing a Dragon!!