WHW 2019 Saved by a Sleep!


WHW 2019 Saved by a Sleep!



First attempt at writing a blog about any running event, but I feel grateful for all the previous blogs and podcasts which gave me some great tips for my first WHW attempt so feel it is only right that I contribute in some small way.



My 1st WHW attempt was on the back of limited ultra experience (2 x River Ayr Way and one Fling), but after crewing for Iain Young last year, I took the plunge and put my hat in the ring!! Training had all gone reasonably to plan with some big runs including north to south WHW over three days, Lairig Ghru out and back, Galloway hills, Ayrshire coastal path, and the dreaded Lochside – Drovers to Rowardennan and back. I had also done Calendar park 8hr race in Feb (which I loved and manged just over 45miles), and the Fling where I knocked 1hr 14min of my time coming in at 10:43:46.

Weekly mileage for the year is low by many peoples standards averaging at 37miles per week but about a year ago after constant niggles and injuries I changed my training to only running 2/3 times per week and doing strength work and lots of flexibility work (Body balance classes). This has paid dividends and I have been feeling much fitter and stronger!



3 weeks before race day I did an out and back Drovers to Rowardennan and then suffered badly with sore ankles. Physio visit next day and strong advice to back of the running, so taper started earlier than planned and made tapering even more frustrating! Still managed a bit of gym work (and Kilmarnock 10K (had to get my empire biscuit!!)).

Friday finally arrived so plan was work the morning, go home finalise kit, get to bed for a sleep for a few hours and then head up at about 10pm for registration. All worked fine apart from I never sleep a wink but lay for about 3hrs!



Race plan was to try and get to Auchtertyre in about 12hrs (about an 1.5hrs slower than my fling time) and then see how it went from there. I always struggle badly with eating and drinking and also get bad muscle cramps, so my logic was take it easy and try and keep eating and drinking for as long as possible!

I met Colin Anderson his pal Robert McMuray (I had met Colin on the last day of my 3 day WHW trip, and we ran in pretty foul weather from Drovers to Balmaha and had kept in touch since). I knew their plan was to start slow so I tucked in, for a slow steady start. Quick re supply of water from my crew Ian Morrison at Drymen and then up over Conic hill. I kept stopping for toilet (two coffees from McDonalds pre the start was probably not the best idea) so kept losing Colin and then catching up again. My sore ankles had started giving me a bit of trouble and a bit of doubt set in about completing whole race on sore ankles (unknown to me at the time, they decided to stop being sore just after Balmaha all the way to the finish)!

Into Balmaha and straight to the toilets (this turned out to be the race theme!!), quick bite to eat and resupply and off I went again.

Section 19miles, 3:54:26, place 169



 Just out of carpark and realised I had forgotten to ditch my torch, waterproof trousers and a spare T shire I had taken, so quick call to Ian to meet me on the road to drop them off.

At this point Murray Radcliffe came by (also from Ayr) so we pretty much ran together to Rowardennan – another toilet stop, quick re fuel and off again. Again forgot to do something – had meant to change from long sleeved top into a t shirt, so was stuck with it till Auchtertyre.

Rowardennan   total miles 26, section time 1:53:03, place 134, place for section 139



Up the dreaded Lochside – I always find it tough, and on previous flings this is where my muscle cramps start. I made relatively good progress up the Lochside and had a bit of a eureka moment – cramp was starting in my left quad but I realised I was always leading with my left leg, so tried to switch it around and that seemed to ease it off! Into Inversnaid, sat down for a couple of minutes, but the biting creatures were fierce and set of again. Reasonable progress to Beinglas some on my own and some with fellow runners. Quick stop at Beinglas and a welcome coffee from the support team, but again midgies were out so never lingered for long.

Beinglas Farm    total miles 42, section time 4:00:58, place 134, place for section 119



Got to the first bridge just outside Beinglas and just like two previous Fling races got serious cramp in my quads, so much so that I could not get up the steps – so third time in a row at same spot I have had to hang around waiting for cramp to ease as runners went by! At the Fling earlier in the year I had taken 3 SaltStick Caps in quick succession and they seemed to work so tried the same trick again!! (Again unknown to me at the time, never had any cramp for the rest of the race!).  Cramp eased off and I got mobile again and caught up with Ella Corrik. We fell into a run the flats and the downs and walk the hills routine and had a good chat all the way on to the roller coaster. I was silently cursing her as she made sure the uphill had definitely started before the walk could commence!! I ended up pulling away on the downhills but then she caught me up on the flat road into Auchtertyre.




As I ran into the first farm I noticed someone in a very distinctive Lanzarote marathon T shirt (Myself, Ian Morrison and Robert Miller had gone out last year), and thought I must make a point of speaking to that person. No need to do that, as it was my crew Ian Morrison, in his Lanzorote t shirt, Ian Young and Karen Adams. Into the check point to meet fellow Ayr Seaforth ultra legend Tim Downie who was on the scales – 5.2kilos lost and well below the 96% weight – told to eat and drink more and headed off to the car (start weight 87.8kg Auchtertyre 82.6kg, 5.2kg loss). Quick change of socks (well not that quick, it was hard to bend over!!), my feet were fine but knew I had a wee collection of stones in my shoes and wanted to get them out. Team tried to get me to eat but nothing was very appealing, think I had a yazoo milk and some fruit.

Auchtertyre total miles 51, section time 2:33:40, place 127, place for section 115



Time to go and after I stood up I suddenly felt awful – really dizzy, sick, needing toilet etc, so said to Ian Morrison, who had planned to run with me to Bridge of Orchy that we would just walk to Tyndrum. I was feeling pretty rough and even a walk was a bit of a struggle!!


Long visit to the Green Wellie facilities and I am fairly sure a wee sleep on the pan!! Finally left and got my orange solero and the whole team walked up the hill out of Tyndrum, me still feeling very sorry for myself, but I did manage to eat the solero!! After Ian and Karen had left I decided I might be able to eat rice pudding or yogurt so asked Ian to phone and see if they could get any – had to keep the crew busy for half an hour or so!! Long slow walk / run into Bridge of Orchy, with me being pretty miserable. By this time upper back was really hurting (just from tiredness I think) and I was really struggling to stay awake on my feet. At this point I was the closest I have ever been to giving up at a race and started thinking how do I tell the crew etc. that I was quitting!. I said to Ian that I think I should get a sleep and he rang on ahead (this news was greeted with delight by Ian Young and Karen)!

Bridge of Orchy total miles 60, section time 3:02:29, place 139, place for section 185






Into checkpoint and then crawled into back seat of car with sleeping bag over me. Not sure how long I actually slept for but I was in for at least 45mins. Got up and managed a bit of food and a coffee and got up to run with Karen Adams and could not believe how great I felt – not sure if it was just the contrast but I felt like a new man!!!! Set off up the hill, and passed my first runner (which was then the theme for the rest of the day!). Decided I needed a pee and then decided it was a bit more than a pee I was needing. So charged off into the woods to get a more secluded spot as poor Karen was left at the side of the path. Reappeared feeling much better and even lighter and started up the hill again. Met Robert again and had a quick chat with him – full respect to him as he is diabetic, and it must be really challenging to eat and drink and worry about the diabetes!! Tried to see if he knew where Colin Anderson was but they had lost touch. Quick chat and jelly baby from Murdo and then down the other side. Ran along the road and said hello to George Stack who was looking good resting up at the side of the road with his crew.



Up over Rannoch Moor, walking the hills but running the flats and the downs we realised we were picking other runners of and moving much quicker. Great chat with Karen about everything and anything and I was feeling as good as I would on a training run – not how I should have been after 60miles!!

It did boost the confidence, but I did also feel a bit guilty as I know from previous races it is really depressing when a fresher runner comes sailing by!! Lots of chat (and cursing) about why on earth I had also entered the Devil in Aug. to run this path again and even worse have entered Cape Wrath next year!

Into Glencoe, cursing my brother, Andy Meldrum from https://www.glencoemountain.co.uk/ for not having the toilets at bottom of carpark open (a customer had caused some damage earlier in the day so they were out of order!), so hike up to the café to use the facilities!!! Coffee, tango and a bit of fruit and then left carrying a fruit slice which I eventually forced down.

Glencoe total miles 71, section time 3:33:24, place 145, place for section 174



Same routine to bottom of Devil’s staircase and was still feeling really good and strong. Met Ian Young at bottom and plan was he was going to run the rest of the way, Karen was going to the top and then drop back down to get the car! A bit of banter as Ian Young, with his fresh legs set the pace, but we soon made it to the top. Passed Karen McIndewar who was sitting on a rock enjoying the view!!










Sunset was incredible at top and a few quick photos and a bit of banter with Karen to say she had better get a move on or we would beat her to Kinlochleven and then we set off down the other side. For Ian’s race last year we had got to top just as darkness came in as well but I also knew we were moving much faster than last year. We ran most of way into Kinlochleven, just as the last light faded, again picking off runners as we went.

Into Kinlochleven, weigh in, toilet stop a bit to drink and then back out the door. I could not help but notice the walking wounded and the runners slumped in chairs which gave me a wee boost (sorry!). After worrying about my weight since Auchertyre I was slightly up at 82.8kg. A request for some sudocream after all the toilet stops and then I think I was ready to go before Ian Young!

Kinlochleven total miles 81, section time 3:00:43, place 126, place for section 75



On out to the footpath, torches on, well maybe not – my heart sank as my torch never worked, unknown to me at the time Ian’s was not working either! A bit of opening them up etc soon got them working. Ian then set, what felt like a fierce pace up the hill! My head dipped a bit at this point as I realised we were now in the dark for the rest of the race. On up to Jeff’s pick up which I remember from last year, this section seemed to go on for ever, but we made reasonable time again picking of runners. At one point we looked behind and saw no one and then half hour later looked back and all you could see was a line of torches.


Quick chat, photo and ginger beer from Jeff and off we went. In my head the next section was all runnable, slight downhill – how wrong was I. With tired legs and torch light the rough ground made running difficult and fear of tripping / twisted ankle forced a walk for most of this section!

Mix of walking and plodding where we could got us to the bonfire at Lundarva.

Lundarva total miles 88, section time 2:33:49, place 115, place for section 78



Quick check in and we were off again, generally walking the ups and if possible running the flat and downhills again. At one point I saw all the lights on the Ben and thought I had to go up there, but still we were making progress passing runners. Eventually up and onto the forest path. Half way down the zig zags we met a couple of runners coming up, as they passed I recognised the Lanzarote t shirt, it was our crew Ian Morrison and Karen Adams who had run out to meet us. I tucked in with Ian Morrison while Karen tucked in with Ian Young. Great to catch up and we ran most of the long downhill. Ran / walked the last bit into town, me plodding on ahead (just desperate to finish) while they chatted behind. Passed the old finish, cursing the fact that they had moved it.

Broke into a trot when I could see the marshal, quick hello to Mark Caldwell (who had been support runner and had just finished) and into the hall.





No real elation, more relief that it was over!! Quick weigh in and the usual photos –and then head back to the flat we had rented!

Fort William total miles 95, section time 2:03:55, place 113, place for section 91






Rest of the weekend passed in a bit of a blur between sleeping, prizegiving, drinking a bit more sleeping etc.



On Sunday it was never again, by Monday it was maybe 2021 (Cape Wrath planned for 2020!) We shall see!



My main target had been to finish – I know from previous ultras I really suffer with the eating, drinking and muscle cramps so I did doubt whether I could do this.

What I had not allowed for was the effect of no sleep and toilet issues I had for most of the route. I was secretly hoping for a sub 24hrs but am I disappointed, the answer is a very definite no!!

Finish time 26hrs 36 mins and 27secs and I completed the race and got my goblet – Apart from the section Auchtertyre to Bridge of Orchy I enjoyed the whole race. I ran slow and steady to Auchtertyre and enjoyed that section, I loved the section from Bridge of Orchy to Kinlochleven and felt really strong running this section. I managed the last section while moving relatively pain free and think I could probably have moved a bit quicker if we had hit this section in daylight. After starting race with potentially quite a serious niggle, I finished race with no injuries and apart from sore quads and a slight sore left calf my recovery has been remarkably quick. I am also fortunate not to be troubled with blisters etc so had no blisters from the day!



Huge thanks to Ian Morrison for looking after me through the 1st night and doing the leg when I was at my most miserable. Thanks to all the crew Ian, Ian Young and Karen Adams who did a great job trying to get me to eat, when I was failing miserably to eat. Thank to Bridge of Orchy hotel for opening the tin of rice pudding for us!!
Although a tough day for all we had plenty of laughs along the way!



Huge thanks to the volunteers – I tend not to engage very much but any time I did, you all could not have been more helpful!!

Huge congratulations to everyone who finished and great to meet and make some new friends on route!






Comments

  1. Congratulations, it's a wonderful journey. I've read all that fantastic stuff but don't see your finish time at the end ��???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe a bit late replying to you Mark but time was 26:36:27. Post updated now. I have only just worked out how to re edit these blogs!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cape Wrath Ultra from Fort William to Cape Wrath - an 8 day adventure!!

Top 10 Runs (Trips) of 2023

Galloway Hills Ring of Fire - Sat 29th Aug. 2020