Top 10 Runs (Trips) of 2023

Top 10 (sorry 11) Races Trips  – for 2023 it is very much top 11 runs and trips, as the races were very limited. So this year it will be top 11 adventures (as there was not much running done!) As always its a bit long so grab a coffee! Written in date order but the top 10 list is as follows -
Mid night landrover tour to Loch Dochard

1. Highland Grand Tour with Trail Running Scotland
2. West Island Way backpacking trip
3. WHW - Support runner for Sara Fabien
4. SCARPA Great Lakeland 3 Day 
5. Sailing Trip with Mark Canning
6. Dragons Back Day 6
7. NAV4 Tour De Helvellyn 2023
8. Unsupported River Ayr Way
9. Unsupported Lochaber 80km route
10. ARC 100 (sadly my first DNF)
11. Falkirk 7hr race

7th January 2023 – Lochaber 80km route 
Ranking 9
After our aborted East Highland Way route in December, Colin Anderson and I were back in Kinlochleven. The Lochaber 80k is one of the Salomon Skyline routes and although we had both done bits of the route, we were both keen to do the whole route. The routes starts relatively gently with a lovely path out of Kinlochleven up to Blackwater Reservoir, then some rough ground over to Loch Treig. Neither of us were full of energy, but with heavy bags (we were not expecting to get any food on route), we made relatively good progress. The weather, for January, was pretty benign - overcast with a light breeze so ideal conditions for running. Once past the Loch Treig it was largely forest tracks up round the east and north side of Ben Nevis, so relatively easy going! The route then climbs up, almost to the Ben Nevis CIC hut, and then over the shoulder onto the tourist path before heading down to the Ben Nevis centre. As we were heading up, the light started fading and the weather took a turn for the worse, with the wind picking up, and the sleet showers started. We were still in shorts and t shirts but as we started meeting climbers walking back out, all kitted out in winter kit, we decided it was time to get suitably attired, with extra layers and full waterproofs. I had never been at the CIC hut and as it got darker and the weather got worse, it felt a pretty intimidating place. Colin had a low point heading up but stopped and got some food in. As we progressed up, I was reminded that my waterproof trousers really annoy me – I very rarely wear them and they are an inch or two too loose at the waist, with no way to tighten them they keep falling down. (they have since been suitably modified to allow me to tighten them!). We soon got to the tourist path and Colin disappeared into the night – his low point had obviously come to an end. I, on the other hand was struggling down the path with sore hips and not feeling fluid at all on the downhill. A quick stop at the Ben Nevis centre when Colin sorted his shoes and I decided it was warm enough and took off the annoying waterproof trousers. Although we were later than planned we were now on familiar territory with the return via the WHW to Kinlochleven. As we climbed over the fire road the weather was getting progressively worse – strengthening wind and bitterly cold. I was being extremely stubborn about putting on my waterproof trousers, even after some pretty pointed comments from Colin. Eventually I had a brainwave and worked out if I stopped, took my shorts off, put trousers on and then put shorts back on I could then tie my shorts tight to prevent the annoying falling down issue. Colin pressed on while I got myself sorted. Up till now the ever increasing wind had largely been at our back, but we were fully expecting it to swing round the hills and encounter it full in the face at some point. When you are running at night it is always amazing how quickly another runner can get ahead and you can get left in the darkness, so I felt I was chasing Colin for an age before I caught him up. The prevailing tail wind continued and we literally got blown up and over the Lairigmor. We were both pretty relieved to go past the Lairig Mor ruin and start dropping back down into Kinlochleven out of the full force of the weather. We had stayed at one of the pods at the McDonald hotel, so were both looking forward to getting a bite to eat before heading down the road. Unfortunately when we arrived the place was all shut up so we were left eating the remnants of our food out of the car. Even more disappointment when we realised the local Co-op closed at 8pm, so it was a long, hungry drive down the road before we got to the services at Dumbarton. All in all, a great winter adventure, a great route with the changing weather adding a bit of spice to the day. 
Looking across Loch Treig

One of the many river corssings!


Heading up to CIC Hut


The Intimidating Face of the Ben


The ARC 100 27th January 2023 sadly my first DNF 
56.54 miles and 9,252 ft elevation 
Ranking 10
So part of the plan with some of the longer routes we had been doing, was Colin and I were training for the ARC of Attrition 100 round Cornwall. After a pretty bigger year in 2022 with completing the triple crown (Fling, WHW and Devil) and Dragons Back there is a slight tendency to get a blasé about running 100 miles. So although I had got some long runs in, the training in between had not been great, my energy levels when training were getting lower and lower, my recovery worse and I was suffering from quite a lot of hip pain particularly after long runs (easiest way to describe it, it was like tooth ache in my hips!). None the less, I approached it full of confidence, but it was not to be – the following is the race report I wrote just after and to this day I still think I did the right thing pulling out!  

It never went to plan and I spent much of it asking - Why?
But what is not to like - 50 odd miles running along a beautiful part of the Cornish coast!
Ok it was dark for half the time, and all you could hear was the sea far below and a definite sense that there was often a pretty big drop on the left hand side.
The red mandatory tail lights were great, except usually you could see them either far below or far above or in the worst case you could see them both below and above and you knew that was where you were heading!
I was totally unimpressed with the large boat which was trying to impersonate, what I thought was the Lands End Hotel, and to add insult to injury I am sure it was traveling away from me!
The Arc Angel's and the general level of support at the race was fantastic and although I was unsupported, I never felt I was in danger of running out of food or water!

Reason for DNF in a word - CRAMP! I also had not felt 100% from the start, and even running very easy pace my heart rate was much higher than it should have been - maybe this contributed!
I am pretty used to having bad bouts of cramps, but usually they eventually let up, and often never bother me again for the rest of the race. But on this occasion running with cramp for 35 miles allowed the seed to be planted that I could stop at Lands End. Even the volunteers telling me I would have a few hours to wait for the sweeper bus, was not enough to encourage me back out the door!

24hrs later with a good feed and 12hrs sleep you start asking why? Why did I not do this or that?
But I had been trying - for 35miles I had tried all my usual coping strategies. So as well as trying to place my foot safely on all the seriously slippy rocks, I was having to carefully make each step up or down carefully to avoid setting of the cramps. On this occasion, over 10hrs of this was more than I wanted to endure!
I am pretty sure I could have walked another 45miles, I am pretty sure I could have still made the cut offs - I've done it plenty of times before!
But in this occasion I decided it did not want to do that!

A bus back to a comfy bed sounded much nicer! The reality was lying on the floor with a blanket under and over me and my drop bag as a pillow while the cramps kept harassing me!

The positives -
- a great event with fantastic support
- a cracking bit of coastline for a wee jaunt
- another adventure with @ColinAnderson - thanks for all the driving and the photos - I was too lazy to take any photos so these are all his!
- thanks to Debbie Martin Consani for the en route Garmin technical support. The Garmin turn alerts have annoyed me for years and obviously after 5mins annoyed her so much she turned them of for me!😀
- another experience to add to the list and try and work out this mad sport we love.
What's next?
A wee bit of reflection on what events I should do / should not do next!
I need to work out this cramp thing - 2years ago I thought I had it worked out, but I have had a few recent experiences which have been less than pleasant!
If anyone is thinking of ARC 2024 - I would highly recommend it - but it is tough and we got it easy with the lack of any adverse weather. For the section I did just imagine Conic hill repeats and you will get the idea!
And just remember
Or maybe more appropriately

I never took any photos so these are courtesy of Colin Anderson!

Falkirk 7hr race! 5th February 2023 
41.20 mi, 7hrs 
Ranking 11

With impeccable ultra runners logic, I had someone managed to book this race, a week after the ARC and with even better logic I decided, since I had only done 56miles at the ARC and since it was a looped 7hr race I could stop whenever I needed to (fat chance of that, but never mind!). I always enjoy the atmosphere and loops at Falkirk, so was pretty happy to just to turn up and run with no real pressure as I was still recovering. I soon settled into a routine of run to the hill, run / walk the hill while refuelling and then try and run the rest of the course. I generally felt I was fuelling well and moving reasonably well all till the last few laps. After walking the hill I tried to break into a run, but my hip area was so tight and sore I could hardly move my legs forward or back. After a bit, it eased off enough to finish the race but I did help me make the decision that this was getting ridiculous. Decision was made that I needed to have an extended break and get proper investigation of the hips and try to get to the bottom of the lack of energy / slow recovery.

Sailing Trip with Mark Canning 10th, 11th 12th March 
Ranking 5
With running off the cards for a while I had planned this weekend away for a while – initial plan was for a running weekend, I then thought about a walking weekend but I had been promising Mark for ages to go out on his boat, so a plot was quickly hatched for a wee sailing weekend. Largs to Colintraive was the first leg – with no real wind it was largely done under power. We were soon on the mooring and had a very enjoyable evening in the pub. The hardest bit was rowing the dingy back to the boat (without head torches on as we had both forgotten them) and getting back on board after a few too many! Day 2 was motor and then sail round the Kyles of Bute to Tarbet under a reasonably fresh wind. It was certainly not sun screen weather but it was a pleasant enough day. On reaching Tarbet I escaped for a wee walk on the Kintyre Way. Back to the boat for a freshly prepared curry by top sailor and chef Mark Canning we went out to experience the delights of Tarbet pubs to be greeted by a snow and sleet shower – perfect weather to be out sailing! The Tarbet nightlife at that time of year was a bit lacking, but we got by! Day 3 plan was round Bute back to Largs. It was clear from the noise in the rigging that we were quite sheltered and the sail back was going to be quite interesting. As expected we had a pretty rough ride all the way back to Largs. It was certainly not summer sailing weather and we even managed to tear a jib as we rounded Bute. I am not the best rough weather sailor but managed to huddle up on deck, trying to stay warm and enjoy the ride. Big thanks to Mark C for a low impact, relaxing (apart from the too much beer) weekend adventure – just what I was needing. 
Leaving Largs

Passing ferry at Colintraive

Passing Port Driseach


Heading to Tarbet





Arriving Tarbet


Calm at the Berth

Torn Jib


Starting to get a bit bumpy!


SCARPA Great Lakeland 3Day 2023 28th, 29th and 30th April
Ranking 4
I had booked this event at the start of the year prior to deciding I needed to lay of the running. Investigations were well under way and I had just had an MRI scan on my hips to try and get to the bottom of the issue. Since I had rested, from running, pretty much for Feb, Mar, Apr I was pretty confident I could at least complete the shorter routes. With typical logic, I obviously choose to do the hardest route on day one. It is a great event – you meet up and camp overnight on Friday night and then you have a choice of 6 routes – each route has a number of check points you need to navigate to. Eventually I teamed up with Ems who was worried about her navigation skills (not sure I was much better) but we agreed to stick together. Emma was getting married in the summer and was planning to do Dragons Back with her soon to be husband as their honeymoon. I tried my best to not let her know it may be a pretty tough honeymoon, but she was happy to pick my brains about the event. We had a great day out – apart from the lack of visibility and views it was a tough but enjoyable day in the hills. We had been promised beer and cake when we arrived in camp, which went down a treat, and then agreed to meet the following day to run together again! By the time I picked up my bag to get my tent set up the camping field was pretty packed. I spotted a wee space big enough for my tent and started pitching up. Before long I discovered I was surrounded by running pals from Cape Wrath, Dragons Back and someone from strava who I had never met – the ultra community is great! 
Looking down onto camp!

Sadly day 1 was a bit much for my hips and I was in quite a bit of pain at night, so decided to step it down a bit for day 2. I agreed to tag along with Mike Brock from Cape Wrath 2022. Fortunately Mike and his pal were good with the navigation, as the cloud and rain had well and truly set in! I tagged along and did my best to keep up, so I didn’t need to navigate myself – I was certainly not confident enough to find all the points, in the clag myself. We were back in camp by mid afternoon, which was fortunately located next to a pub! 
Camp!

After being pretty sore after day 1 and 2 I decided to take the easy option back to base and did the short course. Weather had cleared up a bit, so I had a pretty good run but certainly felt tired and drained on the return back to the original camp site – I think I had pushed my luck enough over the weekend. First time I have done the event and loved it. There were options for everyone and great atmosphere around the camp! Would highly recommend it if you want to try a multi day event.
On the back of working out my navigation was not quite as good as it should be, in May I went on a navigation course with Ian Stewart Trail Running Scotland Since walking rather than running was planned for the next few months, this proved an ideal distraction to test out my newly acquired (and refreshed) skills at a gentler pace!

Leaving camp far below!


The check points we had to find.




This passed as excellent visibility after the previous two days!

West Island Way 12th and 13th May After the lakes 
Ranking 2
After the lakes I decided to back off the running again until I got the results from my MRI scan. I appeared to be fine walking so decided to backpack the West Island Way (a walking route round the island of Bute). I always feel once you get on a CalMac ferry that an adventure is about to start. I had made a total arse of my timings for the correct ferry to connect to the bus which would take me to the start of the route on the south of the island. My bad planning resulted in a cracking breakfast in Rothesay prior to catching the bus. The route starts at the south and does a sort of figure of eight round the island, at 40miles long it can easily be done over two days. You head round the south of the island to the west coast, then cut back across to the east coast and then back past the airfield to the west coast, from there you head over the centre of the island to Port Bannatyne just north of Rothesay. I had a great day out, the bag was a bit heavy but the pace was gentle. There is a great community pub in Port Bannatyne so a quick hydration stop before I set off again. I was keen to get to Colintraive for the night, mainly because I could nip across on the ferry and get some grub before returning on the last ferry to camp up. This section is probably the roughest ground and most elevation of the whole route. So after 20miles and a few beers, the legs were tiring – just to make it more fun the sun came out for proper and it was roasting! Eventually I made the ferry (which is pretty regular) and had a bite to eat and a pint, in the same pub Mark and I had been in a few weeks earlier. I made the 2nd last ferry back – me and one coastguard vehicle! My plan was to walk to the north of the island and find a camp spot – when we sailed by a few weeks earlier I thought there were a few good spots. When I had got off the ferry there was a group of school kids with camping kit, who were camped up near where I had planned. To give me peace I worked my way further round the coast hoping I would find another spot! Eventually I found a spot, got pitched up without getting eaten by the midges – it was a quiet spot apart from the 4 or 5 yachts moored up just off shore. Sadly none of them invited me over for an evening drink so nothing for it but to get into the sleeping bag. 

Lighthouse at Glencallum Bay


Summit of Suidhe Chatain

Airfield Instructions

Looking down to Colintraive

Looking back to Rothesay

Looking across to Colintraive where beer and food awaits!

The ferry taking me to the beer and food!

 I woke early to a beautiful scene – the mist had rolled in, and not a breath of wind. It was early so I lazed around for a bit. Bad move as when I did finally get up, the heat was coming up and so were the midges! Only solution is get covered up, get the midge hood on and get on with it. By the time I walked back out, the kids were just emerging from their tents – it looked like they were there for the day so hopefully for them, as it got warmer hopefully the midges left them in peace! It was pretty uneventful day – the route went up through the forest then followed a track back down to Ettrick Bay on the west and then cut back across the island to Port Bannatyne and ultimately Rothesay. It was over before I knew it and the only hiccup was the ferry was late due to fog at Largs. It’s a cracking route either for walking or running – well worth a visit and easy to split in half as Rothesay is roughly half way! 

My noisy neighbours in the background!
Tent view!

Looks lovely but the dreaded midges were out in force!




Leave not trace!

West Highland Way race - Support runner for Sara Fabien
17th June 2023
Ranking No. 3
I was meant to be crewing for my brother Alex, but sadly he pulled out a few weeks before, so I dropped a note to WHW offering to volunteer and I was put in touch with Sara and Jason Fabien. I had been away on holiday so the arrangements were pretty last minute, but I managed to have a chat with Sara and Jason the Tue before the race. Sara was adamant that she was used to running these races on her own and I would probably not need to run, but race rules require you to have a runner. I had arranged to meet Jason at Tyndrum and then we would team up from there, and as usual arrived way too early - the last thing you want to do is be late for support runner duties.
To make myself useful I walked out to meet and introduce myself to Sara as she came into Auchtertyre. I offered to run, as required, but again Sara was insistent that she was fine. Although I was champing at the bit to run, I was also conscious I had only recently had steroid injections in my hips so resigned myself to soaking up the race atmosphere and making myself as useful as possible.
Sara was in pretty good shape and after a quick stop headed on, with us arranging to get her an ice cream at Tyndrum. 
Jason and I then drove to Glencoe, left my car and returned to Bridge of Orchy. Again I walked back out to meet Sara, Jason was parked at fire station, so after another quick stop, I went down to check point with Sara. The plan was to sneak in an extra pit stop and nip round and meet her at Victoria Bridge. Without hassling I did keep offering to run if Sara wanted and always the answer was "no I am fine"!
At Glencoe, as night fell, there was a bit of chat that they may enforce a support runner, so I agreed with Jason, that I would get ready to run, pack what I needed into his van and be ready to abandon my car at Glencoe. Again I ran out to meet Sara and this time, before I even got round to asking she said "would you mind running for the next sections", so my pre planning came in handy!
After a brief lie down at Glencoe, we both set off, me with pockets full of food to tempt Sara with and the plan to meet Jason again at the bottom of the Devil. I had only just met Sara a few hours earlier, I knew she had loads of experience doing ultra's but trying to work out how someone is really doing after 60 odd miles, when you don't know them is pretty tough. I was pretty sure Sara had not been eating enough, so I tried to tempt her to get some food in before the climb up the Devil. She finally did - a whole tiny bag of skittles - I suppose better than nothing!
Sara made good progress up the Devil and was moving well all the way into Kinlochleven. At Kinlochleven she had some food and drink - and when asked what the plan was, the prompt answer as "lets get going and get this done"!
I left the check point thinking "we have this in the bag, lets hope my lack of running fitness does not hold Sara back"! What happened next is probably best described by Sara and she did a great write up for the WHW Race page , but effectively the wheels came off!
It's a pretty tough climb going out of Kinlochleven and the pace slowed down to 10 paces forward, a rest, and "I can't do this on repeat". There are only so many lies you can tell about how much more of a climb there is - especially when you can see the head torches above. Was I being mean pressing on, should we return to check point for a rest (we had plenty of time) - all made a bit harder as I had only just met Sara! Somehow she got herself up to the forest road and the gradient eases off. Sara was desperate for a sleep, so I mentioned there was an old ruin, just up ahead on Lairig Mor, knowing full well it was still a few miles away. I will now always think of the ruin as "Hotel Lairig Mor" - when we arrived another runner was already sleeping and his crew were sitting trying to be quiet. Sara immediately lay down on the concrete (I have no idea why she never choose the grass!). I was worried about her (and myself) getting cold so emptied my bag and shared out some extra layers. Sara shifted to sitting between the doorway and managed to get a few micro sleeps - no more than a few seconds. She then realised she was getting cold so decided to set off again. I told her to go, I would sort my kit and catch up. Unknown to her I was also struggling with an upset stomach so had that to deal with as well. Eventually I caught up - the micro sleep had done the trick and although Sara never ran after this she never faltered all the way to the finish. 
We eventually made the fire road into Fort William - as we were descending Sara asked if that was the Nevis Centre in the valley below. I just said yes and then a bit later realised she was thinking that was the Nevis Centre where the finish was. I thought best idea was to be honest and break the bad news that the finish was in Fort William itself and not tantalisingly close in the valley below - in fairness she took this news better than I would have done. 
Sara had a lovely finish and was met by Jason and her beagle Toby. 
Meeting Sara at Auchtertyre Check point
Heading to the Devil

Looking back to Glencoe
A welcome to the top of the Devil from Susie and Raymond Hubbard

Back in the daylight, with Ben Nevis in the background

The support team - Jason and Toby!

Immediately after the finish, poor Jason had to head south to get back to London. I got dropped off at my car at Glencoe. After a quick sleep I was trying to make my mind up whether I turn right and go home or left and go up for the prize giving. I choose left, mainly because I had booked Monday off work and if I had gone home I would have just ended up working. Traffic was dreadful so I made the last half of the prize giving which is always a great occasion! I had no accommodation booked, but had thrown the tent in the car so checked into Glen Nevis campsite and promptly spent most of the afternoon sleeping in the sunshine! And then spent an enjoyable evening meeting up with the WHW crew. I had planned a walk in the hills the next day but the weather was pretty foul so I headed for home! 

I remember quite vividly on the drive home on Monday feeling great, as if a huge cloud had been lifted. I had probably consumed far too many beers the night before, so had no right to feel as good. But maybe, just maybe a corner had been turned?

  • had I suddenly shaken off whatever was causing the fatigue?
  • was it the glow from helping Sara complete her race?
  • or was it being surrounded by positive runners and volunteers?

Who knows, but it certainly felt as if a corner had been turned! 

Highland Grand Tour The Highland Grand Tour with Ian and Laura from Trail Running Scotland 
8th-12th August
Ranking No. 1

What a week. The photos do not do the terrain and scenery justice! A five day running holiday was not something I had really considered before. On the navigation course with Ian earlier in the year, his Highland Grand Tour was mentioned and a seed was firmly planted! The MRI had resulted in steroid injections under GA and the fatigue / poor recovery was still an issue. I was still not doing any running and had cancelled (or not entered) all my planned races. So it had not been the best running year up to now, but with things appeared to be gradually settling down and showing some sign of improving (and a bit of boredom from the endless gym and re hab work!) I was itching for a wee adventure. I also sold it to myself that I had already saved a fortune or race entries and accommodation costs so this was a wee treat! 
After checking in with Ian and making sure the pace would be suitable for someone that had only run about 30 days this year and probably half of these were in January, I made the booking. It is 5 days over some of the most epic routes in Scotland - check their site out for all the route details.

Day 1 - Jock's Road to Braemar

Glen Doll

Davie's Bourach (shelter)

Day 2 -  Lairig Ghru to Aviemore




Day 3 - Glen Affrick to Morvich





Day 4 - Torridon - Achnashellach to Torridon







Day 5 - Fisherfield - Poolewe to Dundonnell 






The photos don't really do it justice but in reality this is what we did each day! 
    - we get expertly driven to a start location every day by Laura. 
    - we ran together and chatted 
    - sometimes we spaced out and ran at our own pace 
    - we walked the hills 
    - we stopped to pick wild raspberries... and brambles....and blaeberries 
    - we stopped to take photos 
    - we stopped to soak up the view 
    - we soaked our feet at river crossings 
    - we filled our bottles at the streams 
    - we stopped to spot the deer (eventually we all saw them) -
    - we had a wee look round the emergency shelters and bothies we passed 
    - we stopped at the trail side or in bothies for our wraps (expertly made by Ian and Laura each day -         they were the best!) 
    - we rested in a bothy to enjoy the cool air and get out of the sun 
    - we even got a trail coffee at Glen Affric Youth Hostel 
    - we searched out good swimming spots in the rivers and lochs 

And over the day we walked, jogged and ran the awesome trails to get to another road where Laura was patiently waiting with the car and some cold drinks and snacks! All this done under the watchful eye of Ian who was keeping an eye on the weather, the progress we were making and handing out tips and knowledge! We stayed in local B&B's and Youth Hostels (which were all excellent!) and in the evenings we enjoyed the local Highland food and drink. 

We only went slightly awry once we left the watchful care of Ian and Laura on Saturday night in Inverness. A few too many pubs were visited, with Lisanne and Duffy. Duffy managed to use her American charm to get pizza in a night club! Afterwards we had a slight navigational challenge finding our youth hostel, and some of us even had a navigational challenge finding their room in the hostel! An awesome 5days of running, chat, making new friends, memories and enjoying an amazing part of the country. Thanks to my new best running buddies - it was fantastic! And the best bit - my recovery was good, I was feeling strong, the sore bits were manageable sore and the hips were calm and pain free after each days running! Fingers crossed this will continue! Photos don't do it justice, so go and experience it for yourself. I could not recommend Trail Running Scotland highly enough - have a look at their events! 

Dragons Back Day 6 
9th Sep 2023
Ranking No. 6
At Dragons Back 2022, the finish in Cardiff Castle was not possible, as the queen had died a few days previously. Ourea events had kindly invited us all to complete day 6 again at the 2023 event. I did what I often do – hedge my bets by booking accommodation on a cancellation basis and then decide nearer the time. 
As it got closer it became less enticing – it seemed a long way to go, I had not run 40miles since the start of the year, day 6 of Dragon’s Back is not the most exciting route, but there was also a feeling of “I’m not doing anything else anyway!”. Eventually after lots of dithering I took the plunge. An early pick up at Cardiff Castle and we were taken to the start – day 5 camp. It was a bit strange arriving at camp with it still being pretty busy at 8am. In 2022 it was only possible to do full course, or run as non competitive, but for 2023 they introduced the hatchling course. The camp was still pretty busy with runners who were waiting to get buses to do the last part of the day. After a quick briefing we were let loose to sort ourselves out and leave whenever we were ready. I filled up two and a half bottles (I would come to regret that half later!) and set off. Strangely, although it was only a year since I last ran the route the first few miles out of camp were a bit of a blank – in 2022 I must have been on auto pilot! I knew from tracking the 2023 race, that it was going to be warm, but I had totally under estimated quite how warm. I had hoped it was only going to really heat up by mid day but on the first climb I was well and truly soaked through (for the people that know me - yes much worse than normal!). I was already worrying about water as the next check point was 20miles away, and I knew there was little on route! Obviously with fresh legs I was steadily picking up on runners who had been battling it out for the previous 5 days so it felt a bit cheeky to bounce by them. I tried my best to have a chat with everyone and it was great to get snippets of their week and their story. I also managed to get myself a bit navigationally challenged a few times - first time coming down to Taf Fechan and then second time through Merthyr Tydfil – nothing serious just a bit frustrating. My memory of the route never quite matched up to reality. Next mistake I made was not nipping off route to buy some water, thinking I would eek out what I had. Reality, was by time I made the climb out off Pentrebach I was pretty much out of water, with about 5 more miles to go to the check point. Once off the moor and back onto the road, fortunately the hedges were laden with brambles – so the nice descent was interrupted frequently with stops to gather handfuls of brambles which very much saved the day. It was still quite a relief to get into check point and get refilled. Unlike the other runners, the day 6 "gate crashers" had no drop back so I never lingered long and set out, back into the heat of the day. A mile or so on I had a massive crash in energy – a combination (I think) of not really having run over 20miles for ages and limiting my fluid intake in the heat (which also meant I had not been eating well). I slowed to a walk and tried to walk and eat whatever I could. I also knew we passed right past a Co-op in Nelson – so I popped in and bought some supplies - aka meal deals! I left the shop eating and drinking my purchases, trying to stay in the shade of the hedge. As I was climbing I started feeling more and more light headed and was actually starting to get a bit worried I would collapse, so I slowed it down even more (which meant I was hardly moving!). Eventually I managed to drag myself up the climb and then got onto the flat, which although no longer a climb, was now out in the open and there was no respite from the sun. It felt like I walked for ages but it was probably about 4miles. I was also having serious doubts whether I would get to Cardiff Castle after all. At the next summit check point Mark Caldwell, fellow Ayr Seaforth and ultra legend, was there – he was volunteering doing the course setting. I thought he had to stay on location, but he very kindly joined me and I managed to break into some semblance of a jog / run – we ran together all the way to next check point at the pub at Y Groes-wen. In 2022 I had been sorely tempted to have a pint but had refrained, but this year I had decided I would indulge! While I waited at the bar there was some interesting conversation about how far runners had run etc, I never had the heart to tell them I had only started that morning! I quick pint with Mark and we went our separate ways. With 11miles left to go, the earlier doubts had receded and I was now pretty confident I was going to be able to stumble, walk and jog to Cardiff Castle. I teamed up with a 2022 finisher (sadly can’t remember his name – so if you are reading apologies!) who was struggling a bit like me. It was good to chat and catch up – we passed last year’s finish and then we were into new territory to find the entrance to the castle. 
Morning Camp

A cheeky pint with MC


It had been a touch hot!

Testing out Crampfix - no cramps all day but it tastes foul!

It is a pretty stunning finish inside the castle and such a good atmosphere. Was it worth running 40miles when I was probably not fit enough to do so – I am not quite so sure! 
Tammy Ruvino, who had volunteered at 2021 Cape Wrath and 2023 Dragons Back was again volunteering and was on the finish line and insisted on a hug – which, I thought, was pretty noble of her as I had been sweating buckets all day and was in not fit state to hug anyone.
Plan was then to hobble to my hotel, quick change and back out to enjoy the prize giving and soak up the atmosphere while the remaining 2023 finishers completed the route. Only problem was that I was pretty broken and it took a bit longer than expected. I did eventually make it back in time for the prize giving. Ourea Events had arranged to re present our Dragons from 2022 and generally made a bit of a fuss of everyone who had come back – it was great to enjoy a beer in the castle and soak up the atmosphere. 
Big thanks to Ourea events for letting us come back! Although tired and a bit sore I had really enjoyed the day and was glad I had made the effort!
The following day on the long train journey back to Ayr, I was going through the barrier at Glasgow to get on my 8th train for the journey to and from Cardiff, to get on the Ayr train and my ticket was declined. The inspector noted it was for the wrong date – after me explaining I had come all the way from Cardiff on it, he let me through. It was only when I was on the train and I checked the booking information that I realised I had somehow booked the train for the following weekend – what a plonker - that could have been an expensive mistake! 

NAV4 Tour De Helvellyn 2023 
16th Dec. 2023
Ranking No. 7
With a bit of gentle persuasion from Colin Anderson, I somehow found myself on the entry list for TdH. I had previously entered but it was cancelled due to covid so it was a new race for me. Training had gradually been picking up and I had been managing some running with no major impacts as long as I never overdid it both on the hips front and the physical recovery. Unfortunately on the weeks before the race I managed to get the dreaded lurgy, and it was a bit touch and go whether I should run or not. Accommodation had been booked, so I decided to go anyway and decide on the night before / day. Fortunately I was feeling a bit better on race day, so decided to give it a go (partly on basis that I could just do an out and back if not 100%). The race starts any time between 7am and 9am and we both agreed to get off pretty sharp, just after 7am. The plan was to take it easy and try and enjoy a day out on the hills, but that is always easier said than done in a race! The 1st check point is just before Patterdale and there is a choice either head right to go along the shore of Lake Ullswater or the route most people were taking up over Boredale. Colin was keen to try the route round the lake shore rather than up over the climb and we agreed to try that way on the way out and go over Boredale on the way back. Although the lakeside looked a bit longer, it look like less elevation. Whether it was or not we still don’t know – I am sure a local has worked it out by running both. The lakeside was fine, but it was a bit more up and down, than we expected, but we think we arrived at the first check point roughly in same position. The check point was great – with a polite request I managed to acquire a coffee in a mug, which was quickly consumed and we were on our way, with the promise to be back for another cup in a few hours. The route is effectively a long out and back with a loop round Helvellyn. There are 4 main climbs – the first over Boredale (which we missed by going along Lake Ullswater), over Sticks Pass, down past Lake Thirlmere and then up past Grisdale Tarn and then back over Boredale. 
In the early stages, I had been doing quite a bit of coughing a spluttering, but by time we got to first checkpoint, things seemed to settle down, so I was feeling confident enough to finish. We pretty much stuck together – I always find it hard to stick to other peoples pace, I quite like to move at the pace I am comfortable with but fortunately it worked out fine, I was a bit quicker on the ups and Colin generally caught me on the downhills. Weather was relatively mild, for the time of year, but there was forecasts for gale force winds and showers. On the climb up to Grisdale Tarn we got the brunt of the weather but after that, although getting wilder as the day progressed it was generally on our backs. 
Eventually back into check point for another coffee – what other race can you get two coffees in a proper mug – thank you marshals! 
After the climb over Boredale, Colin took a bit longer to catch up but we did meet up again and I think we both had a faint hope of finishing before dark, but it was not long before torches were back on for crossing the moor and the descent into Askham. It was a pretty big day for me with current level of fitness so for the last 5 or so miles it was very much, I just need to get this finished. Finish was back in the hall where we started – a mug and a bottle of beer then a great buffet, soup sandwich and cakes.

The climb out of Glen Ridding

Sticks Pass

Lake Thirlmere

Grisdale tarn

Happy Finishers - beer tucked away for later!

I loved the route and the event – it was nice and relaxed and a great winter ultra. Because I had taken it pretty easy the recovery was good and the day out in the fresh air had cured my lurgy, so a positive day out and hopefully the start of building a foundation for 2024. 
37.93 miles, 9:42:43, Elevation 7,815 ft

River Ayr Way - Shortest day adventure - source to sea
22nd Dec 2024
Ranking No. 8

I always like the idea of doing something a bit different on the shortest day, and this year it fell on a Friday – my usual long run day. Taking a nice, easy to organise, option I decided to do the River Ayr Way. Route starts at Glenbuck and pretty much follows the River Ayr all the way to the sea and although technically all downhill it is still a challenging route, with lots of up and downs and muddy paths. Plan was to start at about 8am and hopefully make it back to Ayr in the daylight. I always feel a bit of nervousness before wee adventures like this – I am not sure why, usually I have planned my kit, planned escape routes etc, but on the day the weather was pretty foul and getting dropped off in the dark, in the wind and rain adds a bit of edge to the day. A soon as I got out of the shelter at Glenbuck I soon realised I would need another layer on and hat and gloves, as I was running into a gale and rain. It felt like it was going to be a long day already. I have done the race three times before and do run the Ayr end of the route pretty regularly, so it was all familiar terrain! Just west of Muirkirk they were building bridge foundations and the plant and equipment had turned the path into a mud path. Fortunately on the whole I could skirt along the edge – hopefully the contractor will repair the path before they finish as it was previously a nice section of path. Apart from the wind and rain it was pretty uneventful – I often play a bit of a game trying to remember the path and the route, but sometimes the old mind plays tricks and usually the sections are much further apart than you remember. I had brought food for the day but was conscious that apart from drinking out of the river, I needed to top up with water. I did have a filter with me, but I am always a bit nervous of farmland runoff. So the shops at Catrine, at approximately 19miles were ideally placed. Only downside was I had no cash,. and they had a £3 minimum charge on using my phone – a bottle of water, a bag of crisps and a donation to the charity can – got me my water. 
The only other excitement was on the road section into Failford, there was a police road block due to a crash. The two police officers in the van were not the brightest, and my questions about how far the detour was etc were answered from a driver’s perspective rather than someone who had run 26miles and had a few more to go. Realising I was not going to get any sense from them, I grudgingly took the detour. Once at the bottom of the hill, a little check on my OS maps and it looked relatively easy to jump the fences and go across the fields and get back on route. Unfortunately I got back to the road, went to turn right and saw the crash about 50yards further down the road. Back into the field to skirt round the accident, with the hope I would get out of the field at the far end – my luck was in, the fence was climbable and I was back on the road. 
Next minor excitement was just before Stair, the route has been closed for ages due to a landslip, but over time people have still used the path and you can usually pick your way through the landslip – unfortunately it had clearly slipped again recently and the route find between the fallen trees, the brambles and the sections of very deep mud was a bit slow going – but certainly better than back tracking and taking the detour. 
A wet and wild start


Ayr at Night

Lighthouse on Ayr Pier

I had been taking the pace pretty easy, had been eating and drinking pretty well, so felt as if I was moving quite well. I managed to cross the bypass and got into Ayr just before daylight faded away. Past Dam Park, the running track where the race used to finish, but for some reason I had decided the finish was going to be at the end of the pier – by this time it was quite dark, but with the wind and a rough sea it was quite an atmospheric finish. The real finish was only when I got home which is about another 1.5miles away. I was glad to finish, but like TdH, as I had taken it pretty easy, recover was pretty good (River Ayr Ultra was my first ever ultra and I remember hardly being able to walk for days after!). A nice way to finish the year!
42.40 miles, 8:40:28, Elevation 3,310 ft

When writing this, it has made me realise that although the running has maybe not gone to plan, I have manged to get lots of trips away and there were quite a few which never made the cut (Which is why it is sometimes so important to look back and reflect, so I am really glad that I have finally written up my 2023 review!). After not really getting away much for the past years, I also managed to squeeze in a few trips with Mark Canning - always an adventure wherever we end up!

  • Kinlochleven - Corrour - Rannoch - Glencoe - meant to be Knoydart but pub was still not open
  • Walk in to get free beer at the Old Forge Knoydart
  • Sail to Brodick, up Goatfell, sail to Lamlash, round Holy Isle and back to Largs - on a pretty wild weekend!

And a few solo overnight camps in the Galloways. 

What is next?

I'm hopefully I have got my hips to a manageable place where I can continue to run, but ultimately they are deteriorating and I will have future issues. Fatigue, and being wiped out after hard training sessions appears to be abating, so hopefully I can get back to some more consistent training.

2023 has certainly put into context what is important to me, and that is getting out in the hills whether that is walking or running so priority going forward is to preserve that for as long as possible!

So what will 2024 bring

  • early last year, before hip issues I re entered the ARC. In less than 2days I will be toeing the line again. Goal A is to complete, goal B is to get past Lands end - no time expectation - hopefully a day and a bit just enjoying the route.
  • following on from Mark Smiths lead I am trying to do a round of the Donald's. I only recently realised that to claim a Donald round you need to also do all the Donald tops as well. My route planning and navigation is going to be tested to the full.
  • no races planned and will wait till after the ARC
  • intrigued by the idea of fast packing trips - so you never know
  • I have been managing to get along to a few cross countries and will mix it up with a few hill races and 10k's hopefully

 Onwards and upwards!

If you have got this far - well done!

I was not going to do a write up this year, bit once I started, I realised that for what in my mind was a small running year I had still done a lot. Hopefully this might give some inspiration to others struggling with illness or injury.

In any case I find it useful reflect on the previous year so I do this as much for me as anyone else.

And finally a wee apology- I am the world's worst for remembering faces and names (sometimes I think I have that face recognition blindness!) Especially people I don't meet often. So if I haven't recognized you etc, it's not on purpose! Just put me out of my misery and re introduce yourself!

 Thanks for reading, thanks for everyone's support through the year!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cape Wrath Ultra from Fort William to Cape Wrath - an 8 day adventure!!

Chasing a Dragon!!